Let’s admit it, Halloween is nothing more than a drunken adventure played out in costumes. No one can deny that its pure fun but the harsh reality sets in the morning after……maybe even late in the night when the room begins to spin and you begin to sweat a little. Regardless you still enjoy yourself and deal with the consequences later. How about making this Halloween and future party nights a bit easier. Read below for cures and preventative measures that will have you asking what hangover.
- For goodness sake will you just have a meal before you party. You hear it all the time and no it doesn’t have to be something outrageously greasy but your body will do a heck of a lot more with a bit of fatty fuel in the system. Try some pizza or, if you prefer something a bit healthy, fish. Those fatty acids won’t let you down.
- Oh yeah and why not try a vitamin or two. Your mom’s always yelling at you to take them but if her insistence isn’t enough motivation I will tell you that your hangover will be significantly less with them. Somewhat like eating before the party, the do gooders will aid in the metabolizing of the alcohol and the better it does that the better you’ll feel in the morning.
- If you’re feeling a bit old wives tale why not go with the Mediterranean tradition and throw back a tablespoon of olive oil before you party. They swear by it stomach coating abilities and ladies, it can’t hurt. Even if you throw up, atleast you know your skin will look amazing. LOL
- And if you just can’t stick to your limit try alternating a cocktail with a glass of water. At the end of heavy drinking night your body is so dehydrated which aids in the development of a hangover. Keeping the magic fluid coursing through your body will keep you from a sour morning.
Alright so you didn’t do any of the three things above and after throwing up all night you managed to get some sleep and have awoken feeling half dead. What do you do now??
The Food Cures
- When in doubt drink water. You’re probably dehydrated and for some reason water always helps. Its tasteless, colorless and apparently magical so just shut up and drink up.
- Can’t do water? Try coconut water or sports drinks.
- Ginger or Peppermint tea. Both are known nausea curing brews.
- Potassium rich foods like bananas, kiwis and spinach are great the morning after.
- Eggs, chock full of amino acids, help break down acetaldehyde which is the main reason you’re left feeling so crappy. Its the left overs of the alcohol after its been broken down by your stomach.
- Crackers with Honey
- Tomato Juice will also be your friend the morning after. Do skip the bloody mary and just opt for the V8. The fructose and Vitamin C in the tomatoes help give the liver a nice boost.
- Miso or Chicken Noodle Soup
And while we’re on the topic of what to do, how about what not to do.
- Greasy foods are no longer your friend. You had the opportunity to indulge before the liquor frenzy began and now its gone. All you’re going to do is irritate your pissed off stomach further and send yourself back into the bathroom for some one on one time with the toilet.
- Coffee and Liquor won’t do much except make you agitated and dehydrated so just skip the early morning Irish Coffee.
- Oh and stay away from the mimosas. Citrusy drinks will also further agitate the stomach.
Now I do remember one particular night like no other and I was just thankful to have gotten any sleep. When I did wake up my amazing aunt was ready with a smoothie that ripped the hangover right out of my body and through it under a moving train. So while you’re out buying that slutty whatever costume or picking up the keg, stop by the grocery store and grab these ingredients for the morning after cure all.
Berry Banana Spinach Hangover Smoothie
- 1 handful of Spinach
- 1 handful of blueberries (fresh or frozen)
- 1 banana
- 1/2 cup of coconut milk
- 1 large handful of ice cubes
- dash of cinnamon
Throw all of that into a blender, blend and drink. You can also add kiwi fruit in the mix for added potassium and honey for additional flavor. All you need to know is your body wants all of this. Oh and the cinnamon not only helps aid in calming the nauseous feeling but it also helps fight the bad the breath you probably have.
Here’s to the fun and Happy Halloween!!!