The hubby and I have a love of meaty salads and the other day we came across a burger salad (one of our favorites) topped with a well seasoned slaw. Feeling inspired I looked over a few recipes and adapted my own for Sunday dinner. It was a winner so I felt like sharing.
Summer’s End Slaw
- 3 cups of shredded red and green cabbage
- 1 cup of shredded carrots
- 3/4 cup of mayo (I used smart balance with olive oil)
- 3 tablespoons of apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons of brown sugar
- 1/2 small red onion
- Paprika, Sage, Black Pepper, Oregano, Sea Salt to taste
Grab your onion and grate it over the mayo
Stir in you vinegar, brown sugar and your seasonings tasting often till you find your flavor
In a separate bowl mix your cabbage and carrots
Mix the seasoned mayo and cabbage together evenly
Refrigerate until your ready to serve
The mix of spices with the vinegar and brown sugar create a tangy flavor that works well with the crunchy cabbage and carrots. We served ours topping a bbq sauce saturated chunk of lean ground beef with swiss cheese all over a green bed of spinach. The meal was light but filling and we still had some slaw left over. Give it a shot and let me know how goes.